Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Irregular People

Millie this is for you.

Back in the 80s there was a movie made for TV called "The Summer of My German Soldier," based on a true story about a small Southern town that held several German prisoners of war during World War II.

The young girl in the story befriended one of the young German men who had escaped his captors. He was a sweet boy caught up in Hitler's war machine. Her father was hateful and authoritarian. The only person in the household that treated her like a real person was their old black housekeeper.

When they found out that she had befriended the boy and had been bringing him food, clothing and blankets, her father disowned her. He said she could live in the house until she was 18, but he would never speak to her or acknowledge her existence. She was dead to him.

She ran sobbing to the housekeeper. The housekeeper said, "Honey when I go shopping, and I see something that's an irregular, I expect to pay less money for it. You only pay top dollar for top goods."

"You have irregulars for a Mama and Papa, but all your life you have been paying top dollar for them."

Millie, you have been paying top dollar for irregulars. God will heal your heart and keep you safe, but your "irregular people" will always be unhappy.

I'm there for you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is SO true! Thank you for sharing it. You are right, I have been busting my rear end my whole life and giving 110% of myself to try and be "perfect" when I can never achieve that perfection. Nobody can. Now I am just tired.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...