Friday, May 1, 2009

A Pattern

I have a couple of teapots, cheapies that I got at the Dollar Store. They make fine tea, though, so I needed a cozy to keep my tea hot. After perusing the Net for something quick, warm and knitted, I became frustrated. I found a couple of patterns, even a nice crocheted one, but I am a knitter first even though I do enjoy crocheting. So I decided that it shouldn't be too terribly hard to make up my own pattern, so here it is. My teapots aren't very big, and the spouts are kind of short, but this pattern would work for the longer spouts, probably even better than the short.


Warm and Cozy Tea Cozy
Materials:
Small amounts of two different skeins of knitting worsted. I used a solid green and a brushed green, which made a nice look. About 2 ounces of each.

Equipment:
US #9 knitting needles
yarn needle
bodkin
Size H crochet hook

Gauge: 3 stitches per inch with 2 strands held together, but gauge isn't very important.
Cozy measures about 9" across and 7" high

First panel:
Holding two strands together, cast on 28 stitches. Knit 2 rows.
Pattern:
Row 1 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 2 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 3 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 4 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 5 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 6 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 7 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 8 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4

Repeat rows 1-8 three more times
Knit 2 rows
Bind off

Second panel:
Holding two strands together, cast on 28 stitches. Knit 2 rows.
Pattern:
Row 1 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 2 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 3 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 4 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 5 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 6 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4
Row 7 *K4, P4* repeat across, K4
Row 8 *P4, K4* repeat across, P4

Repeat rows 1-8 three more times
Knit 2 rows
Bind off

Sew panels together: for spout sew up one side 2" from bottom, leave a 1/2" hole, sew to the top. For handle, sew up other side 3/4" from bottom, leave a 3 1/2" hole for handle, sew to the top. Make sure you match the checkerboard pattern. Weave in threads.

With crochet hook and one of the yarns, make a chain 28" long. Thread chain on bodkin and weave through cozy about 1 1/2" from top. I used the checkerboard pattern as a guide, which looks very nice. Tie a knot near both ends of chain and trim tail to 1/2".

Enjoy! (I hope I didn't make any mistakes on this pattern. If I did, let me know and I'll fix them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...