Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Been a While

It really has been a while since I posted.  Not sure what to blame that on, I guess just flitting from here to there and not lighting somewhere long enough to post.  Well, that and I needed to take and download some pictures and the camera was always in the wrong place, and I'm still lazy about climbing stairs.

But I made the effort, finally, so here's a bit of what we've been doing.

Sydney and Sam belong to a boy's group at church, called Cadets, quite similar to Boy Scouts but with a Bible message included.  They get to do all the cool things Scouts do, including crafts and camp outs.  Saturday was the Cadet-o-Rama where the boys from all over the valley could come together and compete.  They shot off rockets:


Sam couldn't find most of his rocket after he launched it, but he was still happy because he got third place in his age group for appearance.  Actually, Grandma and another mom got recruited to judge the rockets, but honestly we didn't know whose was whose.  No, really!  And Sam also won third for his craft-a nice shelf.  I didn't judge the crafts-the leaders did that.  Then they raced their cars-when my boys were in Cadets they called it the Pinewood Derby.  Syd got third in his age division, but they only gave ribbons to the top two.  They also give out the Turtle Award which goes to the slowest car that crosses the finish line.  Another boy in their group, Nels, almost got it, but his car didn't quite make it all the way across the line.  All the boys had a blast.

The girls' group, GEMS (Girls Everywhere Meeting the Savior), got to make rockets but they will shoot them off later at a church member's farm.  The boys will too, and the ones like Sam that lost their rockets will build new ones.  All the girls painted theirs pink and purple, go figure!

I've been sewing and knitting.  I finally finished the Christmas pajamas, and will give them to the kids on Easter.  I have a nice stack of flannel now-just love them all done and ready for the owners!

 But this year, I had to make a nightgown for Gracie-she informed us she's too grown up for pajamas.  When I cut the nightgown out, it had long sleeves with elastic at the wrists.  Her other Gramma made her a nightgown the same way, but Gracie hated the elastic, so I had to come up with something different.  I cut off a portion of the sleeves, added eyelet lace, and faced it with a strip cut from the part I whacked off.  I suppose penguins are okay for Easter, right?

 The kids are coming for Easter dinner, and yesterday, while wandering through Jo-Ann's I came across this tablecloth, marked to half price.  The creative juices started flowing, so I went home and cut out napkins from my massive fabric stash.  A little pressing and hemming and I have washable napkins to use year after year.



Then I started digging through my knits.  I was looking for something blue and green to match some jewelry I bought a while back.  I found this-I have a suspicion it might be swimsuit fabric, but I like it.  This one one of several pieces of fabric a good friend gave me.  She's never been fond of knits and I love them so I happily accepted all she had to offer!  I should be able to find a skirt in my closet to match for Easter.  It will be the first skirt I've worn in months, and you can bet when I get home I'll find my jeans!  Not supposed to be warm here on Easter.

As for knitting, the usual sock project is always in the car, and I finished a pair of leg warmers I started winter before last.  Not my fault-I ran out of yarn and had to wait forever for the store to get more in.  It's a different dye lot, but you can hardly see it and I'll probably just keep them in my winter box in the car. 

I have tons of sock yarn left so I made up a toddler-sized sock pattern.  It really turned out cute-hopefully I'll post pics in the next few days.  I want to put them in my Etsy shop so I'm contemplating the best setting to photograph them in.

Well, you all have a blessed Easter, or a good Passover.  One of these days I'm going to go to a Seder just to see what it's like.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you can say you are lazy doing stairs cuz you are so darn busy and energetic the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...