I finally finished the chicken table runner. I've had the fabric for months, and just about the time I'm ready to start, the customer would bring over more fabric. I had gotten this far before the last drop-off:
She has seat cushions or something made out of the chickens and wanted me to showcase the chickens as much as possible. I did a kind of log cabin style block-she said her curtains are red and white ticking stripe so I finished with the red. The stripes are made with the bag of scraps she dropped off.
Then she dropped off this cute fabric-saying maybe I could use it for backing:
It's chicken wire print on white background. Too cute to put on the back. Instead I decided to make eggs to go with the chickens:
I stacked fusible interfacing with the fabric and cut out eggs. I pinned them together, fusible side to the front of the fabric, and sewed all around. (Don't leave a space for turning) Make a slit in the interfacing and turn through the slit. Use a point turner or knitting needle to turn it as well as you can-DON'T PRESS! Place on your quilt where you want it and carefully fuse into place.
Then using your blanket stitch on your sewing machine, stitch around the eggs:
I goofed when I put it together to quilt. I didn't cut the backing large enough-should be somewhat larger than the top because the quilting will draw it up. Consequently when it came time to bind it, I almost didn't have enough. I had to give up about 3/8" of the red that I really wanted to keep. It was kind of a skimp!
A good seamstress's best skill is faking it so that's what I did! I used the chicken wire fabric for the binding.
I backed it with muslin-a much better choice than hiding that cute chicken wire stuff, I think! Now I just have to take the time to drop it off at the customer's house.