Monday, August 29, 2011

Finally Chickens!

I finally finished the chicken table runner.  I've had the fabric for months, and just about the time I'm ready to start, the customer would bring over more fabric.  I had gotten this far before the last drop-off:


She has seat cushions or something made out of the chickens and wanted me to showcase the chickens as much as possible.  I did a kind of log cabin style block-she said her curtains are red and white ticking stripe so I finished with the red.  The stripes are made with the bag of scraps she dropped off.

Then she dropped off this cute fabric-saying maybe I could use it for backing:


It's chicken wire print on white background.  Too cute to put on the back.  Instead I decided to make eggs to go with the chickens:


I stacked fusible interfacing with the fabric and cut out eggs.  I pinned them together, fusible side to the front of the fabric, and sewed all around.  (Don't leave a space for turning)  Make a slit in the interfacing and turn through the slit.  Use a point turner or knitting needle to turn it as well as you can-DON'T PRESS!  Place on your quilt where you want it and carefully fuse into place.


Then using your blanket stitch on your sewing machine, stitch around the eggs:


I goofed when I put it together to quilt.  I didn't cut the backing large enough-should be somewhat larger than the top because the quilting will draw it up.  Consequently when it came time to bind it, I almost didn't have enough.  I had to give up about 3/8" of the red that I really wanted to keep.  It was kind of a skimp!


A good seamstress's best skill is faking it so that's what I did!  I used the chicken wire fabric for the binding.



Finished chickens-finally!



I backed it with muslin-a much better choice than hiding that cute chicken wire stuff, I think!  Now I just have to take the time to drop it off at the customer's house. 

2 comments:

  1. You are one talented lady!! Your customer is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so cute and so clever --- love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...