Thursday, April 22, 2010

What I Did for Earth Day

I hate that electronics and computers outlive their usefulness and end up stashed somewhere in the house gathering dust because they really shouldn't be put in the landfill but nobody wants to buy them, heck, you can't even GIVE them away! Hubs has never understood this and from time to time he would bring something home from work-a fax, a huge computer, etc.

In our area, usually once a year in the fall, they hold an e-waste collection. Every time this has been held with the exception of once, we have either been out of town or just didn't get the word. Now the county landfill has a place for the e-waste that is sent for recycling but they charge per pound. Today in honor of Earth Day they held the collection event at the county fairgrounds. My DIL sent me a message on Facebook just so I wouldn't miss it. According to the ad I found in the paper this outfit completely recycles the stuff. The drop-off was staffed by jail inmates, so that was a good thing too, they have something to do and can get outside on a pretty spring day.

Here is an inventory of what I brought in: 2 computers, complete with monitors and keyboards (the monitors must weigh 20 pounds); 2 printers; a fax machine; and a scanner. I made a lot of room in the basement! To top it off, I took two bags stuffed with grocery bags to Walmart to put in the bag collection bin.

I'm feeling a little smug right now. It'll pass-I'll start feeling guilty about not doing enough for the environment soon enough. But I feel pretty green for the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah for you! As a professional organizer I am always suggesting environmentally friendly ways that people can pass along their clutter. this week I featured how blue jeans can be reused as housing insulation by Habitat for Humanity. It's fun to make room and make a difference at the same time. Kudos to you for doing your part!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...