Sunday, November 1, 2009

Stuff for the Girl

A few weeks ago, Gracie had a before-school meltdown. Her VERY FAVORITE pants, the tan ones with the pink flowers embroidered on the legs, did not fit anymore-she couldn't even get them snapped. The only way Mommy could settle her down was to promise that Grandma would make her a copy.

So off to Jo-Ann's we go. I found the tan corduroy, but I also found another piece that Gracie liked. This one is a soft gray with tiny purple and burgundy flowers already embroidered on it. It came home with me too-I took what what left on the bolt. That meant that I could cut out a jumper for the girl as well.



I spent a bit of time looking for a burgundy or purple turtleneck with coordinating tights, but gave up and just gave them to her. I made a point of telling her that the pants and jumper were not made to wear together! She is really into layers and Mom has to monitor what she wears to school.

I also made her a pair of mittens and a hat. She got a new winter coat and snowpants that are chocolate brown and pink, so I made the hat and mittens to match.

This really is chocolate brown and a pink/white variegated. My camera was in a mood.

I make mittens really warm by using two strands with my favorite mitten pattern. One strand is worsted weight and one is sport or baby weight. Check your gauge and make adjustments in the size. Gracie is 5 and I made the child's size 6 so I'm not too far off. The pattern calls for worsted weight. It takes a bit of trial and error, but these mittens are some of the warmest you could knit. I could use a super-bulky yarn, but I feel the two strands creates that air pocket that is much warmer. (Kind of like layering your clothes)

I'm working on the other kids' hats and mittens, and I have Gracies pants embroidered, so hopefully soon I can blog about the rest of my current projects.

Update: Mommy just took this mobile picture of the girl in her jumper. Gotta love technology!

1 comment:

  1. I remember having to get Nana to make "another" skirt for Michaela that she could no longer wear...glad to know that we aren't the only ones with such issues! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...