Saturday, July 3, 2010

When I Was Young, We Called Them Pedal Pushers

Of course now they're called capris. We had capris too, but they were almost ankle length where the pedal pushers were just below the knee. Now they lump them all together in the same category.

I am glad they are back in style. I hate shorts-it comes from fat thighs in hot weather, chafing and other ugly subjects. The only time I wear shorts is on the beach, for more sun exposure and to keep my clothes dry when I dip my toes in the water.

Anyhooo-my capris were wearing out, time to make some more. One day I was looking in my closet and I noticed a few pairs of pants hanging there that I never wear, not because there was much wrong with them but I just didn't like ME in them. "Hey," I said to myself, "Why not cut the bottoms off and make capris out of them? That way they get some use and you only have to make more pants, which you need anyway."

I agreed with myself and promptly dragged out a couple pair. The red pants-well a chubby lady in red pants is just wrong! They're OK for bumming around, but not for dress. The navy ones fit nicely and I liked them, but they were about an inch too short. Measuring error on my part.

An hour in the sewing room and I am the proud owner of two nice pairs of capris.


I made some nice vents on the sides.

You notice the ancient sewing machine cabinet? My hubby bought the cabinet and a top-of-the-line Viking on my birthday the year we got married-in 1968. I still have the machine but I have a Viking 500 that I bought about 14 years ago, and it has taken over the cabinet. Some thinks you can't let go of-it's full of scrapes and gouges but it is well loved.

Today I developed a new pants pattern. I'll blog about that in the next day or so.

Have a great 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy to hear from you! I do moderate the comments before they post just in case...